New Zealand Dog News

Reviewing the dog news in New Zealand with editors comments. Someone needs to keep reviewing how our dogs are doing in society.

February 13, 2011

Owner a hero with his mouth to mutt

A pet lover has told how he saved his choking dog - by giving him the kiss of life.
Phill Urquhart, an IT consultant from Nelson, said he didn't hesitate to perform CPR on golden Labrador Bayley because he considered him one of the family.
(...)
"His rear end was close to the ground and he was running around erratically. I jumped up and ran to him and realised he wasn't breathing."

Bayley collapsed and started convulsing on the kitchen floor. "His lungs were heaving, then he fell on his side unconscious. I thought he was gone."

Urquhart said he recalled basic first-aid techniques from his cub scout days and decided to perform a Heimlich manouevre. He felt under Bayley's ribcage and gave the Labrador a "really good push".
"A whole lot of froth and a ball of stuff came out of his mouth, it was horrible.
(...)
Urquhart urged other dog owners to learn basic first aid.

"I never thought I would have to use it but it just came back to me. My kids are calling me a hero. I'm enjoying it."

Alex Melrose, owner of Vet Care Grey Lynn in Auckland, said Urquhart took the right action and it was the first time he had heard of someone doing a Heimlich manoeuvre on a dog.

MORE>>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web page hit counter