New Zealand Dog News

Reviewing the dog news in New Zealand with editors comments. Someone needs to keep reviewing how our dogs are doing in society.

December 15, 2010

Dog dies after contact with algae in Hutt River

Toxic algae in the Hutt River has caused the death of a six-month-old beagle, prompting councils to raise health warnings.
Echo died on Tuesday, less than two hours after coming into contact with blue-green algae in the river near Melling.
Vet Rhea Hurley said Echo had been brought into the Pet Vet clinic after being in the water up to her belly, and had to be put down. "She came in twitching and not able to stand up and she collapsed. It would have been three-quarters of an hour after being in the water and she was seizing."
(...)

Blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, are microscopic organisms that are naturally present in many New Zealand waters.
They look like dark brown or black mats and grow on rocks on the river bed, but can wash up on banks or float in shallow areas.
MORE>>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 
web page hit counter