New Zealand Dog News

Reviewing the dog news in New Zealand with editors comments. Someone needs to keep reviewing how our dogs are doing in society.

September 19, 2009

Dog dies after blunder

The Christchurch council pound which put down a beloved family pet in a microchip mixup is unrepentant. Animal control officers have apologised for the "unfortunate" death of family pitbull Ruby, but said they were following procedures.

Ruby's Christchurch family is devastated. Lyn Owen said Ruby, less than a year old, had been microchipped "because we loved our dog and if she went missing we wanted her back".

But unknown to Owen, and her son Ali Nicolson, 28, their phone number had been entered incorrectly. The Christchurch city council had also attempted to contact the family by post, but they had moved house after the microchip was inserted so the letter arrived late. MORE>>

Yes, it is unfortunate... and I can see both sides. But at the end of the day, why did she wait 9 days to ring the dog pound? I would have thought that the Dog Pound and the SPCA would be the first places to ring...

And she didn't change her address. So I suppose that the microchip database is the same at the city council''s database? just wondering ....

2 Comments:

  • At 7:53 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    As I recall you can register your microchip with the central registry here or with the aussie registry. Reminds me, I must send off the paperwork.

    Meantime, the council has a record of my dog's microchip. But that won't help me if she ends up at a vet's clinic unless they check with the council I guess? What if she's found in a different jurisdiction? I'd better find out.

    The nine days it took to call the council is not as confounding as how this 'pit bull' pup found itself in the pound in the first place.

    When will owners of the type learn?

    They, more than any other kind of stray, are in the gravest danger of euthanasia as too many councils are still militant and ignorant in their handling of and attitude toward 'the type' with their prejudice denying innocent dogs the opportunity of a responsible and caring home only on the basis of their appearance.

     
  • At 9:24 a.m., Blogger Natalie's Life said…

    So basically, the city pound would have two ways of getting someone's address, and phone number? Their registry and the microchip's registry (which is the national database which all councils have access to, right?)

    I should enquire at the council... as my dog is 13.5 yrs old, I didn't have to microchip him, so I need some educating :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web page hit counter