New Zealand Dog News

Reviewing the dog news in New Zealand with editors comments. Someone needs to keep reviewing how our dogs are doing in society.

September 07, 2007

Pooch's owner in dog box with SPCA

But this picture of a pampered pooch by Auckland City Harbour News photographer Jason Oxenham on the corner of Queen St and Mayoral Drive last week did just that.

"This is the most amazing photo but it sends a mixed message," Mr Kerridge says.

"The dog is dressed for winter, lying on a bed with a bowl of water, so someone obviously really cares for this dog.

"What worries me is the wee thing is vulnerable to theft or the traffic."

While Mr Kerridge is concerned by the dog's situation, he says some people could learn a thing or two from the mystery owner.

"It's so well cared for and loved - I wish everyone did this for their animals."

When transporting animals in vehicles, Mr Kerridge says the comfort and safety of the animal is the most important thing.

"We never want animals in the boots of cars.

"In this case, if the dog does travel in that bag on the side of the motorbike and it's zipped up, it's probably okay."

Mr Kerridge says while leaving a dog tied to a motorbike near a busy intersection is 'certainly not something I would recommend', briefly tying up a dog up in public is acceptable.

"It's a risk people take but sometimes it's necessary," he says.

"Generally, people don't tie them up for an hour or two while they go away." BUT they leave them in CARS and that's okay !! Hell, my dog stays willingly in our car even though it's in the driveway. That's his kennel for him... He loves the car...

What do YOU think??

1 Comments:

  • At 3:20 p.m., Blogger llew said…

    I know, I had the same criticism when I left my 3 year old daughter in a crib on the side of the road while I popped down the road for a coffee.

    Hell, I was only gone 15 minutes & it's not like she could've got out of the crib or anything.

    Some people just like complaining.

    I mean sarcasm aside, it's very cute... but the dog is tied up & left on the road.

    And he's talking about people who leave their dogs to overheat in parked cars - I'm just guessing, but that's not what you meant you do with yours is it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web page hit counter