New Zealand Dog News

Reviewing the dog news in New Zealand with editors comments. Someone needs to keep reviewing how our dogs are doing in society.

February 03, 2006

Policeman hides his dog after attacks


An Otaki policeman spirited his bull mastiff dog away after being told it could be destroyed for twice savaging a neighbour's pet.

Barbara Growcott is angry that the officer was able to save the dog's life by sending it back to its breeders – despite attacks that nearly killed her yellow labrador Blue.

"I am outraged that the owner, who happens to be a police officer, has not been made accountable for the vicious attacks on my dog," she said.

In the first attack on November 12, Blue was bitten repeatedly on the shoulder outside the police officer's home. Mrs Growcott was at work at the time and an elderly man was walking down the road with Blue.

"The dog rushed out and ripped into Blue when the owner opened the gates. I pulled them apart, the owner put the dog back behind the gates and drove off, and I took Blue home," a neighbour, who saw the attack, said.

Eight-year-old Blue suffered multiple bite marks and abscesses and needed surgery, stitches and drainage tubes. But less than a month later, on December 7, he was again mauled by the bull mastiff – which chased the labrador into Mrs Growcott's kitchen.

"I went out to the kitchen and saw the bull mastiff and a dobermann, which lived at the same address, standing there. The bull mastiff saw Blue and started attacking him.

"I was so petrified I ran into my bedroom, scared I was going to be set upon as well, and rang 111. When I went back out to the kitchen the two dogs had gone and there was blood and flesh splattered all over the walls and floor." more>>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
web page hit counter